The Suunto 7 is getting an updated firmware, rolling out starting June 30, 2020.
If you do not yet get this update,
- it can be that it takes longer,
- you can try putting the watch on its charger while having it connected to WiFi and it may start the update soon, or
- you can go into the “About” section of the system settings and check the “System Updates” entry there
This system update is PXDB.200528.004
It delivers (quoting from the Suunto website):
• Easy access to steps, calories and recovery time through Suunto mobile app and the new Suunto Today Tile on your watch
• Choose the training data you want to keep an eye on during an exercise by creating your own customized sport modes in Suunto mobile app. Your own sport modes will appear at the top of the sport mode list in your watch.
Enhancements and fixes:
• Improved location and distance accuracy
• Extended integration of activity and exercise data to Google Fit™
• Extended user guidance notifications
• Various other bug fixes, language translation improvements and performance optimizations
The following versions of Suunto components are included in the update:
Suunto Wear app – 1.128.2
Suunto Wear services – 1.201.2
Suunto Watch faces – 1.5.0
MDSP – 1.139.0
To emphasize the main novelties and enhancements, not quote:
With this update, sports mode customization has reached the Suunto 7. It has limits, as always, but also offers some fun. I have created a sports mode that is trail running for “Virtual Skyracing”, labeled as such, for example.
The new Suunto Today tile displays steps, calories and time to recovery right on the watch, where things like the already-available Suunto tile for the training diary also resides. Or the Google Fit tile, which is less necessary now.
What is not explicitly mentioned by Suunto (perhaps because it is more of a Suunto app thing) is that steps and calories counted by the Suunto 7 now also sync with the Suunto smartphone app.
Finally, if you sync your data also with Google Fit, your sports data is shown better there, e.g. with the recorded GPS track.